Saturday, January 20, 2007

Jo sent me this ...

"I have been reading a book about Mark Rothko for my colour project and there were some quotes which related to the things you have been writing about on your blog, so I thought I would forward them to you.

Have a read:

From a manifesto written by Mark Rothko and Adolph Gottlieb:

1. To us art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can be explored only by those willing to take the risk.

2. This world of the imagination is fancy-free and violently opposed to common sense.

3. It is our function as artists to make the specter see the world our way - not his way.

A quote by Mark Rothko:"No possible set of notes can explain our paintings. Their explanation must come out of a consummated experience between picture and onlooker. The appreciation of art is a true marriage of minds. And in art, as in marriage, lack of consummation is grounds for annulment." "

Comments:
Fantastic! It's perfect and just what I needed after reading this about my blog:
******
There’s been a lot of talk recently about a blogger who got herself a “lucrative novel deal” after a publisher spotted her via her blog.
Apparently - it’s not all that hard to snag a publisher - all you need is a few fancy fonts. The publisher, TFP, is said to have been impressed by the “brilliant writing” (that sounds reasonable…) on Caroline Smailes ’ blog and the “interesting use of fonts and layouts”.
Eh? Isn’t that like offering to publish a manuscript because you liked the author’s handwriting?
I don’t know about anyone else, but the last time my handwriting was important to my writing was when I was 8 years old.
******

Where do I start????
This fits will all that you've been talking about and all that I agree with. The problem is that perhaps we're in a minority and then you begin to wonder why you expose yourself to it all!

Ever felt like you're struggling up a rather steep hill?

You get me and for that I thank you. Lots and lots.
Cx
 
OMG! People can be so jealous and mean. They just don't "get it". But you must continue to write and compose your writing for YOUR audience ... of which there will be many. And, from what I undertand, it is BLODDY difficult to 'snag a publisher', so you're way ahead of the pack there. You keep at it ... your an artist ... and don't believe otherwise.
 
The point is that it isn't easy to 'snag' a publisher! It just appears to have been that way for me.

The problem is that it appears to be easy. A few 'fancy fonts' and I get a publisher ... but had I not had a manuscript for them to see etc etc.

Your number 1 is perfect:
'To us art is an adventure into an unknown world, which can be explored only by those willing to take the risk.'
Or and the:
"The appreciation of art is a true marriage of minds. And in art, as in marriage, lack of consummation is grounds for annulment."

Perfect.
Now can you tell the rest of the world! Please.

x
 
Can't take the credit for this post, Caroline ... my daughter Jo found it ... she's been following the convo. And she SOOOOOO gets it!!!!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?