Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Nostalgia Isn’t What It Used To Be #2

So this is the Prefab I grew up in. Not the actual one, obviously, but it could be. It’s a lot smaller than I remembered it … but cosy. We had a coal-shed and a garden. I lived there until was 11 or 12. And there on the bed is the Rupert Bear Annual I was telling you about.
I must learn to tidy up after me.

It triggered so many memories …

I remember sitting on the sofa reading a book (Commando … a comic book). My brother wanted me to go to the park with him but I couldn’t. I really wanted to but I had to keep reading my book … it was so exciting I couldn’t put it down. What a brilliant feeling that was ... and still is!

I remember one time I did go to the park and I got near to the top of the steps on the slide and froze with fear. Couldn’t go up or down. What a wuss. Had to be rescued by my dad. Tut. I was 17 at the time. (Not really). Still don't like heights, though. Or falling over.

I remember learning to play the piano. My teacher’s name was Hiroth Davies and she lived up ‘The Pitching’ in Llantrisant. I seem to remember I was pretty good … passed exams and stuff. She had a long pencil she used to point at the score with … and then rap you over the knuckles with it if you messed up. Harsh, but fair! Or maybe just harsh.

I remember learning to ride a bike. It was red. You could go anywhere when you had a bike … even right to the end of the road and back.

I remember my friends Paula and Vanessa. Paula’s dad was a carpenter and he had fingers missing, so he can’t have been any good. And my mother used to take me with her to Mrs Rex’s house and I would have a milky coffee. I still have one most mornings.

I remember going to Sunday School in Ebenezer Chapel at the top of the housing estate where we lived. It was here, when I was 13, that faith found me. And has never left me.

I remember Tonysguboriau Primary School. And Mrs Lloyd. I learned to draw there. And to make up stories (lies, in other words). I also remember crying as I walked home on the day I had to leave to go to Secondary school.

All that came back to me after one short visit to Saint Fagans.


Visual memory … seems that’s how it works for me.

Post Script: Following my post about teddy bears, my daughter bought me the 1984 SuperTed Annual! How cool is she? And how lucky am I? VERY, is the answer to both.

Comments:
This blog is brilliant - I am so impressed at the quantity and quality of your posts - very amusing and very honest, too. You are a blogging inspiration to us all! And also, I have noticed that becuase you post more, you also get more comments - great motivation! Miss you and look forward to seeing you soon x
 
Hey babe!!!! Thanks for that!!!! It's fun and I'm kinda working some stuff out as I go. Miss you too but see you SOON! X
 
In the 'Post Script' bit ... you forgot to mention that you are soooooo cool. Super Ted is fabulous.
And your daughter is clearly a lovely lassie x
 
LOL ... thanks for that, Caroline!
 
ah, compliments from strangers! i like this blog! ;p
great post again....and i promise i will sort mine out too...i came home all motivated to do it then found out the pc at richard and sharon's has died! oh no!
but i'll find a way...
great seeing u over new year!
love ya pops xx
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?