Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Day At The Seaside





Ah, the exhilaration of the wind blowing in my face and filling my lungs with fresh air … the beauty of the sunlight shining on the surface of the sea … the awesome power of the waves gathering relentlessly, rolling in and crashing upon the rocks.

Bollocks.

It was bloody freezing, I got soaked and the wind played havoc with my hair.

But I got some pictures.

I think I’m supposed to have an “artist’s eye” for the beauty of nature, for the big picture and the smaller detail. But a trip out like today doesn’t do that for me.

I see people. Not dead ones. Weirdos.

Two people … a man and a woman … were sat on a bench with the BIGGEST telephoto lenses I have ever seen! They were obscene. The woman was playing lovingly with hers while the man just leaned back smugly with it pointing at the sky.

They were taking photos of seagulls. I ask you. Are they stupid? And what a waste of money. Just buy a cheap disposable camera, strap a half-eaten sandwich to it, and you’ll have as much of an extreme close-up as you can handle!

Actually, I hate seagulls. They scare me. I had this idea of putting small explosives in half-eaten sandwiches and leaving them lying around. Then it would be worth having a telephoto lens to take pictures of seagulls exploding in mid air. I bet I could get an Arts Council grant for that.

I also noticed lots of people with dogs … and bags of poo. Lots of people walking their dogs along the seafront with the lead in one hand and a bag of poo in the other. Two women with dogs were talking animatedly, waving their bags of poo around like a handbag or some other kind of fashion accessory.

Maybe it is the thing to carry nowadays. Maybe it’s edgy and cool. I think I might try it. I don’t like dogs, so I won’t have one of those. I’ll just carry a bag of poo.

Comments:
I like the ones of the water crashing up over the rocks - very cool!

I know how you feel about the wind messing up your hair - I went out today without doing ANYTHING to my hair and it was REALLY windy and rainy. Hopefully now it looks like it's supposed to be this messy.

Sometimes I worry that you'll get too carried away taking pictures near the edge of a cliff/wave/riverbank...next time wear armbands or something x
 
wow! these are beautiful...
 
Armbands! What a GREAT idea! I'm going to get some. Wonder where ... ?
 
Wow fantastic photos.
I also enjoyed a giggle at the 'the wind played havoc with my hair.'
Seagulls are evil.
 
Clearly you haven't been on the runways of Paris lately. 'Doggie bags' are so au courant. Go with everything, too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?