Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Selling Art

Yesterday I went to visit the Kooywood Gallery in Cardiff and got offered a cup of tea by Cassie Jones – the lovely woman who runs the place! Now that’s my kind of gallery. Playing Goldfraap too (Felt Mountain) so I could have stayed there all afternoon!

Chatted to Cassie a bit about setting up and running a gallery. She said 2 things I wasn’t keen on … the first was “hard” and the second was “work”.

Hmmm.

She told me that the key thing is building up a good mailing list because most sales happen on the opening night. They also have a website (
www.kooywoodgallery.com) and occasionally sell things from there.

Apparently, the artists usually find the gallery though they do go to the graduate shows and will take someone on if they like their work.

They work on a commission basis but do not require the artist to sign an exclusive contract though they do ask that of they have a show at the Kooywood, then they don’t show anywhere else at that time. Fair enough.

I talked to Cassie a bit about my idea for something a bit more ‘hybrid’ – a physical space, but more like a shop than a gallery, and selling works by artists, fashion designers, textile designers, crafts-people etc. Also using the space for occasional music events, poetry reading, fashion shows etc. But not an ‘arts-centre’ and not looking for community-type funding, but a commercial venture focussed around sales of a variety of complementary products ... art comes to life.

Cassie also showed me a self- published catalogue by an artist … that was really well produced and did a good job of selling her work. That got me thinking about mail order … and the potential for photographing works of art in a setting.

And that is one of the reasons I want a ‘hybrid’ space is so that all the work can be seen more ‘in situ’ than it often is in a gallery setting. It is also more tangible and stimulating than a picture on a website. And ‘products’ can be sold together.

I’m going to be putting all my ideas and research together in a kind of ‘business plan’ only it’s going to be more like a sketch book than a conventional plan.


At the moment, it’s not much of a plan … more of a pl. But it will evolve and I’ll blog about it as I go.

Comments:
Sounds fascinating. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
 
WHAT AN AMAZING PL!!!
 
I'm good at planning, pretty bad at executing, and hopeless at completing. What am I like?
 
Except that's not entirely true. To produce a piece of art, you have to be able to initiate, plan, execute and complete. I guess I'm looking for a more creative way of going about things.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?