Monday, March 17, 2008

Getta Job!

I read a quote somewhere that said,

"The hard part about creativity isn't coming up with something no one has ever thought of before, the hard part is actually executing the thing you've thought of."

Being something of an "ideas person" that is very pertinent for me.

One of the hardest things I find about being self-employed is the lack of any pre-set context or structure. Someone once described me as a gyroscope ... I spin at the centre and can lean and balance without falling over because of the surrounding structure.

Lately, I keep falling over.

So I've been working on this ... creating a structure, that is, not falling over.

One of the things I've done, which has been quite motivational, is that I defined my 'aims' as a visual artist. I wrote down a list of things that I want to do. Then I redrafted it as a Job Description. Now, when I look at it, I think "I would LOVE a job like that!".

So do ya wanna see it? Well, DO YA? Here goes then ...

* Produce works of art in a variety of media
* Research subjects and themes relevant to art work
* Develop artistic skills through formal and informal learning
* Develop a broad understanding of art history with specific emphasis on certain periods, themes and people
* Visit galleries, exhibitions and private views as networking opportunities and to maintain an awareness of the ‘competition’
* Exhibit my work frequently and in numerous places
* Develop on-line sales
* Recruit, manage and develop Studio Assistant(s)
* Acquire, set up and manage a studio
* Obtain commissions from individuals
* Obtain commissions from organisations
* Develop a regular programme of funding, grants, sponsorship, donations etc
* Develop, maintain and regularly communicate with a mailing list of supporters, clients, gallerists, dealers etc.
* Develop, promote and run workshops and seminars
* Collaborate with Fashion / Textile Designers re materials and presentation
* Collaborate with Graphic Designers re publications
* Collaborate with Theatre / Dance companies re stage sets, costumes etc
* Write articles for publication
* Give talks

At least now I have some idea of what I'm supposed to be doing!

(Even as I read this, I think of new things I could add ... but this is what I'm working with at present.)




Comments:
VERY cool job!

=D
 
Innit?!
 
WOW...super duper. I wanna do one!
 
Yay Jo ... it's always good to have plan ... or even a pl
 
Great idea! As artists, we really do have very, very cool jobs.

I also like the idea of a pl. Takes some of the pressure off. :)
 
It is a great job, isn't it Andrea! And the pay ... oh ... there isn't any!!! LOL
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?