Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Artificial Landscape





Driving up past Cilfynydd, I noticed again the rolling hills.

Except they're not.

They are slagheaps left over from mining days. They have been landscaped to look like hills and the thin grass and yellow gorse have done a wonderful job of covering and disguising them.

But where the grass and the gorse slip away - unable to maintain a grip - the hidden slag is once again revealed.

It's a strange kind of beauty and I don't know why it moves me so. It's something about our relationship to the land.

I know the world needed coal.

I know communities needed work.

I know that closing the pits was an economic and social disaster.

But I look at the scars and think,

Oh.

Dear.

God.

Comments:
Wow, nice drawing
 
Why thank you!
 
cheap tramadol tramadol for dogs drowsy - tramadol for dogs forum
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?