Friday, September 26, 2008

A Fool's Hope


When I was young, I would paint for hours. Then I would arrange all the pictures around my bedroom and invite my parents to come and see my ‘exhibition’. They had to pay a penny to come in.

Over the years, art remained my favourite thing and the hobby I turned to again and again. It’s only in recent years that I have been able to devote more or less all my time to it.

After a career in marketing, and a number of years working in the community and running my own business I am now a visual artist … sort of.

I say ‘sort of’ because, for me, being an artist means many different things. It’s about seeing behind and beyond things, and trying give some form of expression to that. I like to strip back what is seen on the surface to reveal something of what is going on behind. To get at the ‘spirit’ of things, if you will.

And this applies not just to nature, but also to people. We all present a picture to the world, but there is so much more to be seen if only we are prepared to reveal it. For some people, that might be a negative thing – but for me it’s very positive. I see potential, I see dreams and visions, I see hopes as well as fears, aspirations as well as disappointments. I like to think I see something of what we – and the world we live in – can be.

There is so much more than just that which we can see on the surface. There is so much more that can be revealed. Maybe the way we see ourselves, and the world we live in, can be changed.

I have the foolish hope that my art will go a little way towards doing that.

Comments:
Yes -- it will.
 
Thanks Andrea ... I appreciate the encouragement.
 
SO GREAT the one penny art exhibitions - that little boy was a genius!! I might start doing that now...

I think that we all hide too much and are too afraid to reveal what we really think, and to really look and question what's going on. And that we should just be more honest and accept the consequences! That's the only way things will change...
 
Jo ... you're not the only one who's told me that recently!!! The thing is, there are often consequences for other people, not just for oneself. My trouble is that I expect all consequences to be bad!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?