Monday, January 05, 2009

Collaboration

Some time ago I mentioned to a friend that I was meeting a photographer who I hadn't seen for many years (not since we were teenagers in fact!) for coffee and a chat. As I talked she said, "Do I sense a possible collaboration?" To me, it was just catching up with an old friend.

I'm obviously not so smart.

I've just come back from a good couple of days away. I met people, drank coffee, chatted. The people I met (including my photographer friend) are freelancers, like me. Out of those conversations there seem to be opportunities for mutually beneficial collaborations - with them and, possibly, others.

This is what I've been looking for for a long time.

Thinking about collaboration, I came across this:

"The fundamental unit of the new economy is not the corporation but the individual. Tasks aren't assigned and controlled through a stable chain of management but rather are carried out autonomously by independent contractors. These electronically connected freelancers - e-lancers - join together in fluid and temporary networks to produce and sell goods and services. When the job is done, the network dissolves and its members become independent agents again, circulating through the economy, seeking the next assignment."

Thomas Malone and Robert Laubacher,
"The Dawn of the E-lance Economy"
Harvard Business Review

Comments:
Well done - sounds positive. I know a few networks like this in London some of which have been formed or extended through working for me. One day I called one of them for some advice and got chatting until he said - oh we're all over in Bombay at the moment! They had won a contract together over there. I got off my work phone very quick! Networks have also cross fertilized and overlapped or joined with other networks so its definately the way to go. They all look out for each other as well by signposting opportunities and building teams. Success leads to more work and growth and strength but also people cover each other's mistakes too. Many collaborations have been going on for years - they come to see each other as their work mates. Its been intriguing spotting these collaborations emerge.
Maddy
 
Maddy ... you have experience in this area - any advice or coaching you can offer would be much appreciated.
 
It would be great to meet up when you are in London and we could share experiences - let me know when you are going to be around
Maddy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?