Saturday, December 20, 2008

Life Redesign

I referred some time ago to a quote about going where you think your clearest thoughts.

I’ve discovered in the last few weeks that this is in my car.

Which is handy.

Especially as I will be spending a lot of time in it in the coming months.

At the end of the month I will be moving from my current location - a flat in Cardiff that has served me well for the last 3 years.

I don’t have another place to move to that I will be able to call home.

But that’s the idea – to unsettle myself.

I am redesigning my life.

And I’m giving myself 100 days to do it.

It will involve new work, new relationships, new finances and a new freedom and mobility.

In the process so far, I’ve uncovered a problem … a kind of over-arching problem, really … I don’t know how to do things.

In the past I’ve been with people who do know how to do things. They’ve taken my ideas and made them happen. This is the first time I’ve had to do it on my own.

But I’m getting help.

One person told me to make a list. Another told me to get boxes and to pack things into those boxes. Yesterday someone gave me the number of a man with a van.

You have no idea how stressful this all is to me.

Other people hold down full-time jobs and still manage to do these things – often on their own.

What’s wrong with me?

Comments:
You're a man, that's what! :) Just kidding. I think you're embarking on quite a learning curve and I feel no small measure of envy. Changes and fresh starts -- it's what makes life interesting. Good luck, Peter! Looking forward to updates regularly.
 
Are you going to pack an easily accessible box with some of your art equipment? I vowed to do some work while I was travelling around for 40 days earlier this year and I have to confess to not being very productive, I got one small piece of embroidery done and started another. I really hope and pray you have better luck with that than me.

I hope I don't have to move for a while, I have moved three times in 6 years (from England to Denmark, to Colorado, US and now to Latvia) after living for 15 years in Derbyshire. Can't face another move for a couple of years at least :O). Well not international anyway. I wouldn't class building my own home on piece of land a couple of miles away a move and that is what I am hoping to do.
 
Andrea ... you joke but I think you may be right!!! Life is certainly interesting ... I'll keep you posted!

Joanna ... my car is going to be my mobile art studio! The idea is to work lots. I've always wanted to design and build my own home ... hope it's a dream come true for you.
 
Moving is overwhelmingly stressful - it just is. You are reacting in a normal fashion to this fact.

Having just completed a move about 2 months ago, I recommend having at least a box or two, clearly marked, with things that you need in order to feel sane even when it's chaos all around you. Some art supplies, some books and notebooks, maybe some basic dishes (a bowl and a spoon for cereal if nothing else), some towels... I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Best wishes for a successful redesign! I can't wait to hear all about it!
 
Augustus John would be proud of you!
 
Angela ... thanks for the practical advice! I will do that. Now, about the chaos in my head ...

Anonymous ... I don't get the reference to Augustus John ... tell me more!
 
My art history isn't that good, but didn't Augustus John adopt the Romany lifestyle and take to the road for a bit - or was it Rolf Harris?
 
What you need is a good large handbag!
 
"A handbag?!" - LMAO
 
it´s unisex Joey!!!

you know the rest...
 
Gotta love the Friends reference Claire! I'm running through it in my mind! lol
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?