Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lost

I was driving to my friends' house.

I knew where I was going and why I was going there. I've been a few times so I more or less know the way.

But, this time, the road I usually take was closed. I followed the diversion signs until they suddenly stopped.

Using my unerring navigational instincts I took a right.

Big mistake.

I ended up stuck in traffic on on a road I didn't know.

So I did what I always do ... I followed someone who seemed to know where they were going. They turned left, so I followed. They zig zagged up a series of narrow, one-way residential streets. I followed.

Then I realised I was following a taxi that had pulled up outside a pub.

The road ahead was a dead end.

I had to reverse back down a narrow street with cars parked on either side.

I ended up in exactly the same place, stuck in the same traffic.

I crawled along until I spotted a sign that pointed to where I wanted to go. Eventually I got to my friends' house.

When I was sitting in the traffic, not knowing where I was, I realised that if - at any point along the way - someone had asked me where I was, I would have had to reply ...

"I don't know. I'm lost"

Comments:
Sometimes it's good to get lost.

If you always know exactly where you're going you might miss out on finding new stuff.
 
True, Jo. Being lost is more interesting and stimulating than always knowing where you are and what you're doing. I like lost people.
 
Sounds like the slippery slope to me. What's next, announcing a craving for human flesh and your own urine?
 
We're all lost all of the time..its only the insane and the brave that acknowledge it.......which are you?
 
Anonymous 1 ... wtf????

Anonymous 2 ... certainy not brave; possibly insane; definitely enjoying the journey. Ignorance is bliss, eh?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?