Sunday, February 08, 2009

February 2009

It’s been 3 years since I committed myself to working full-time as a visual artist.

I thought I’d do a bit of a review.

I’ve just completed my tax return for the last financial year (2007 – 2008) and I’ve projected my income for the current year. Whilst my income is low, it is increasing year by year. My expenses are also relatively low as I’ve simplified my life (by necessity more than design!).

I have considerable debts that I am not servicing very well. However, these relate to the years prior to 2006. I’ve incurred little in the way of additional debts since. Also, my debts are below the average of those who have a mortgage etc. Finances are my biggest anxiety. However, I keep them in perspective. I have a good friend who is battling cancer. My problems can be solved by a signature at the bottom of a cheque. His can't.

I have identified 8 possible revenue streams from art, of which I’m currently tapping into only 2. So there’s potential for growth, but it will require a ‘business-head’ to develop additional income ... and assistance.

Over the last 3 years I’ve produced a considerable amount of work, though not as much as I would have liked.

I’ve tried a number of different approaches in terms of sales – with varying degrees of success. I’ve exhibited in galleries – not very effective – and organised solo shows in ‘non-art’ venues – with more success. I’ve entered art competitions – with no success. I’ve gone to craft fairs and car boot sales! My blog has also led to some sales.

I’ve received considerable support – both financial and emotional - from a few people.

I have a few keen collectors of my work.

So this 100 DAY experiment is not so much about WHAT I’m doing – it’s more about HOW I’m doing it.

There are personal issues I have to deal with in terms of my self-belief and my productivity (the two are obviously related). But there are also issues in terms of my ‘business model’ (I don’t have a problem talking in these terms because I have a business background and I enjoy business and marketing.)

These are the things I am trying to redesign during this period.

My aim is not to be rich and/or famous. I want to be able to live, primarily, as an artist. But even that isn’t the goal. The goal is to be free to work so I can put some ideas on the table for examination and discussion. I want to get my ideas out into the ‘world’ through my art and my self so that they can be tested. If they resonate with some people they may then bring about change (see the Hockney quote at the top of this blog).

And that will be OK by me.

Comments:
stop procrastinating and just get on with it woman or in the words of a lesser god than i..........pull yer fecking finger out!
You know what you want now so just........DO IT!
 
Anonymous ... well, that's ME told!!!!
 
You know me.....harsh.........but fair x
 
someone has to be!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?