Friday, April 10, 2009

100 Days

Some time ago, I went through quite a long phase of wanting to be the President Of The United States. Obviously, I shared this ambition with everyone I met. Obviously, too, nearly everyone I met could think of some reason or another why this was never going to happen. Me not being an American was the most popular.


But I wasn't going to be put off so easily. I would argue vigourously against all the so-called objections. My most potent argument was to say "Pah!". This had the effect of generally winding people up and making them think that maybe I was serious. I was.

During that time I read dozens of books about the American Presidency including many on how the White House administration actually operated. I needed to know if I was going to step into the role of Chief Executive. It was then that I came across the concept of the first 100 days of the Presidency being the most crucial in terms of setting out new policy initiatives and establishing a new framework for government.


The first 100 days of any new endeavor is said to be the most critical and vulnerable time of all - whether it's a new business, leadership challenge, start-up initiative, team or special project, a new Presidency ... or just me.

By the way, this phase ended suddenly. I was once again in a 'heated debate' with a small group of people about my seemingly preposterous ambition. One woman - a good friend - sat listening quietly but with a head of steam obviously starting to build. When she could hold in her exasperation no longer, she blurted out "For goodness sake, people, IT'S A METAPHOR!


From then on, I didn't feel the need to make such a song and dance about it.

What it was a metaphor for is another story for another day.

Well, my 100 days are up.

And not just for me:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/44.president/first.100.days/

I didn't actually time my 100 Days to coincide with Barack Obama, though it was a trigger in my thought process.

How's it gone?

It's gone well ... but only half as well as I'd hoped.

I'm spending this Easter weekend reviewing the time and planning what I do next.

My glass is half-full.

I can't remember ... is that a good thing or a bad thing for an optimist?

Comments:
Dressing up as Napoleon Bonaparte is when you (and the rest of us) should start worrying.
I'm glad you've completed your 100 day experiment successfully and, more importantly, that you're OK and in one piece.
 
Anonymous ... I'm too tall to be Napoleon. As for being in one piece ... some days I feel like I'm held together with bits of tape! But I'm OK, thanks.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?