Monday, March 16, 2009




I've just completed these two new pictures.

Or, at least, I think I have.

How do I know?

Often I will include words in my pictures, but recently I took some of my paintings to a gallery and the owner said she didn't like the graphical elements.

That threw me a bit.

So I've spent days with these pictures, sticking words on and then taking them off. Repeatedly. And I still don't know which I prefer.

Also, I haven't been able to get a format for the words that has pleased me aesthetically. I quite like these two pictures and I've put a fair amount of time and effort into them, so I don't want to screw them up by adding words that look crap.

For me, the words (and the symbols I sometimes include) are like hyperlinks. They are intended to trigger additional thoughts and insights related to the overall themes I'm addressing. They are part of my visual language and my style.
The top one's called "Nature Song" and the bottom one's called "Earth Hymn".

Anyway.

In the end I decided to stop faffing around and photograph them, so I can move onto other things.

But I'm still not happy.

Comments:
When you're bored or stuck, stop. Doesn't mean you can't come back to them.

Also: maybe they're samples. Just like sketches. That eventually might become part of something bigger/better. Part of a series or body of work.

What I remember finding fascinating about a Picasso exhibition is that he did SO MANY paintings in the series before he ever did the 'final' one - but all you ever really see is that one final painting.
 
P.S. Can't wait to see you on Friday!
 
I agree, Jo. They were only ever intended to be studies as I try taking my 6 x 4s up to a larger size. But I started looking for a result rather than enjoying the process.

Looking forward to seeing you too!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?