Monday, May 11, 2009

Overindulged

I'm pretty much free to be who I want to be, do what I want to do and go where I want to go.

Which is nice.

But recently I read a quote by a graphic designer who said, "I'd much rather be told I have to design a cheap paperback in two colors that can't have any imagery on it than be told I have no limits." (Book Art edited by Charlotte Rivers).

I understand that.

As an artist I follow my own path in terms of ideas and execution. It would be interesting to see how I handle a commission where I have to depict someone else's vision.

Having no responsibilities or commitments is not always a good thing. Not for me, anyway. It can make me passive, lazy and indulgent.

So that's why reading this (below) was like a smack across the head.

I made it into a poster to keep in front of me.

It comes from a book called "Stop Self-Sabotage" by Pat Pearson. In it she claims that when we get out of balance it is because we are either over-challenged or over-indulged. We can, and do, veer between the two but have a tendency toward one more than the other. There are strengths and weaknesses in both positions, and both can help us to move forward at different times and stages.

It hasn't always been like this ... indeed, for most of my working life I've been over-challenged. In the end it led to me being burned out.

Challenging myself is particularly important to me at this time, though, because I have a new sense of energy and urgency. I'm thinking my way around and through the fences that could hold me back, and I want to translate those thoughts into positive, effective actions that will move me - and others - forward.
Being overindulgent won't help. A bit of additional challenge might.

Writing this out for publication has been a curious thing for me. You have no idea how hard it has been for me to write this without making loads of snide comments. I'm obviously reacting to something ...

Comments:
I'm reacting too! I am also trying to resist the snide comments or occasional spitting of feathers - there are one or two of my pet hates in there. Hmmm!

Glad to hear your starting to see through the fences. I look forward to seeing what is on the other side for you
 
lol Joanna ... I'm taking it like medicine!
 
Great obseravtions. It reminds me of the old chestnut "I play better tennis because there's a court."
 
Very wise, Andrea! Structure is good and so are challenges.
 
How does the statement "You lack purpose, find a mission" make you feel? Just curious!

Surrounded by missionaries and interacting with missionaries makes me react to that one. It is as if everything has to have a purpose "a mission" and I wonder when God created the World did everything have a purpose? If purpose is to share enjoyment, then "yes", if it is functionality then "no", there is nothing functional in the vast array of colours of flowers, the insects which pollinate them don't respond to the colours it is the UV spectrum they see. I just want to be a part of this community here in Latvia, not do mission to them. If I can share Jesus with them then fantastic and let something grow out of that! Having just written all that lot down now I am going to have to go away and ponder as it has just crossed my mind "is having a purpose the same as having a mission?" Hmmmm!
 
No. 9 - Stop making lists and get on with it!
 
Joanna ... i guess for me it's about context. In life, relationships etc i don't have a 'mission', but in my art I do. Also, doesn't creation have a purpose? To reveal something ... or someone?

Anonymous ... point taken. Keep on musing!
 
Good point. Even God's exuberance or pizzazz as I once saw it described has a purpose to reveal the character of God. But mission! the jury is still out on that one.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?