Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Things I need to know something about:

chaos theory
quantum mechanics
gaia theory
that thing where people are physically translocated (translocation?)

I've tried reading some books about them but they are all a bit too technical for me.

Sigmund Freud said, "Everywhere I go I find a poet has been there before me."

I want to read things written by poets and story-tellers.

I learned a lot about current scientific thinking from the children's books by Madeleine L'Engle. I'm looking for more of that kind of thing.

For instance, has anyone read books by Philip K. Dick? I'm not really into science fiction, but are they any good? Or can you recommend something similar?

For example, with regard to chaos theory I love the analogy of a butterfly flapping its wings in Patagonia and causing a storm in Pontyclun. I get that, though I don't understand it.

I don't want to understand ... I want to be intrigued.


Comments:
I've only read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (aka Blade Runner) by Philip K. Dick, and I liked it. Other than that, I'm not sure what to recommend. I will ask my husband though since he's read more SciFi than I have. You might try Arthur C. Clark though - I love his books.
 
Try James Lovelock's - The Ages of Gaia. I read it some time ago so can't remember the details of his theory, but it was something akin to seeing the earth as a living organism, automatically regulating itself should its delicate balance (for supporting life) be in any way upset or threatened.
 
Angela ... thanks ... I might try Philip K. Dick. Maybe Arthur C. Clarke but I'm not a big fan of science fiction.

Anonymous ... I tried reading a book by James Lovelock ages ago ... not sure if it was the one you mentioned. Found it a bit technical to be honest. I like it when the story-tellers get hold of some of these ideas.
 
Arthur C. Clarke is definitely a storyteller - that's the only way I can take SciFi.
 
i'll give him a go angela ... thanks.
 
I've just thought of a book you should read. Have you ever read anything by Haruki Murakami? My rec is "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World". Look for it in the regular fiction/literature section, not sci-fi (or on Amazon). Believe me, very intriguing, not all that understandable, but wonderful all the same. Back of the book calls it "a hilariously funny and deeply serious meditation on the nature and uses of the mind."

I think I'll have to read it again myself now.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?