Friday, September 11, 2009

Over the last few weeks I've been very focussed on the 2 commissions I'm working on. I'm very excited about them and feel I have some good ideas.

I'm doing a lot of preparatory research and studies, including reading, taking photos, making photocopies, getting tear sheets from magazines, producing drawings and getting samples of materials.

I have a deadline of 20th September to have all the preparatory work done, ready to present and, hopefully, get approved.

So not long.

The pictures I'm producing are a series of 4 based on the theme of growth and decay. The reason for producing 4 is that the number 4 represents the number of the earth (4 corners of the earth, north / south / east / west, 4 seasons, 4 winds etc.) Each will be 2 feet square. As is my usual style, the pictures will be colourful, highly textured and will have natural elements embedded into them.

The sculpture I'm working on is based on an upright human figure. The lower half of the figure will be covered with sticks, leaves and other natural elements suggesting that the figure is rising up out of the earth. It will be about 4 ft 6 ins tall. I am exploring the materials to be used but they will be very robust and weatherproof. The sculpture will be painted white.

Because of the size of these pieces, their physicality, and the nature of the materials being used, I need a dedicated studio space to work in. I have been offered a large space in a disused building in Central London, so I am checking that out. I will travel there for 2 or 3 days each week to work (probably more as the deadline moves closer!).

I am working on both pieces simultaneously and allowing 2 months for their completion. I am working towards installation and viewing at the end of October, so I'll also be working on publicity materials and a launch event(s).

While these commissions are my priority for the next few months, I also have a number of other projects on the go. These include a number of pictures that I'm working on, and plans for a new business-type initiative that I want to develop.

It was quiet in the weeks before I went to Brasil, but I knew it would be busier when I came back.

I'm enjoying it.

Comments:
Sounds great, Peter! Congratulations. Can't wait to see the completed projects - and hear more about your side projects too.
 
Angela ... thanks! I'll keep y'all posted.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?