Friday, September 18, 2009

What's brown and sticky?

A stick!

(that one still makes me laugh)

I've been working on quite a few pictures (a dozen or so) based in and about Mid Wales. You may remember me mentioning that I work on them on-site and then bring them back to base camp to finish them off.

Recently, I realised that I had run out of the sticks and stones and other bits and pieces that I use in these pictures.

I could have just gone outside and picked up some more.

But oh no.

I had to wait until I was next there and then take a couple of hours to go collecting.

For some reason, the materials had to be from Mid Wales for the Mid Wales pictures. It wouldn't have been right to have pictures from Mid Wales with sticks from Pontyclun or Cardiff.

It's something about authenticity - even though no-one else would be able to tell. I'd know though.

I am working on lots of ideas, sketches, studies and pictures from different geographical areas, and I have bags of bits from each area.

Wherever I am, I find myself shuffling around with plastic carrier bags full of 'stuff' - like some old bag lady.

I have a bag of bits from Mid Wales for pictures about "the land";

I have another bag of bits from the coast in the boot of the car for pictures on "fluid";

Another bag of bits is from Bute Park in Cardiff for pictures about "chaos";

And I've started collecting material from a cemetery for pictures about "transition" (yes, I know, that last one is a bit weird).

So far, I've been trying to retain a naturalistic style to the pictures even though I paint the natural elements in different colours. Now I'm toying with the idea of doing some pictures in neon and flourescent colours.

It might be a bit more zeitgeisty.

(shoehorned that one in)

Comments:
Maybe you will try Latvia one day?
 
ooh love these painted sticks
 
Joanna ... could happen ...

Claire ... they are lots of fun to do!
 
my goodness, you would love the work i'm doing with the children at present, i'll see if i can send you a photo!
 
Please do that Angela!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?