Monday, March 29, 2010

Commemorate


How confusing is Easter?

I really don't get it ... Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Palm Sunday, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Lent, Holy Week. And whatever else I've missed. Mothering Sunday, perhaps?

I'm not even going to attempt to shoehorn in the Easter bunny. Or chocolate eggs.

Nevertheless.

I've spent the day making small Easter gifts for the people who support me as an artist.

While I'm not a big fan of religious festivals, they can act as a frame to hang some ideas on.

I put together a piece of wood and a piece of stone and wrapped them in a cloth on which the word "commemorate" is written.

"To commemorate an important event or person means to remember them by means of a special action, ceremony, or specially-created object."
http://www.google.co.uk/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en%7Cen&hl=en&q=commemorate

I simply put them in a jiffy bag and popped them in the post. No words, no explanations, no definitions, no instructions. Hopefully they will cause a moment of thought, consideration, reflection. Maybe more than a moment.

I like the idea that there can be so many layers of meaning, significance, story and interpretation to a simple piece of art.

I've kept one piece back for myself and I'm going to use it as a "sacred relic" to focus my thoughts and intentions over Easter weekend.

I'm pleased I've got them done and posted in time for Easter. I tore up the cloth and wrote on it this morning, and then I spent most of the rest of the day walking around collecting pieces of wood and pieces of stone. I sat in a coffee shop addressing envelopes and then sat in the car packaging them. Now I'm here in the Library writing a blog post and taking a photo.

A productive day.

Comments:
are any of those pancake day?
 
I think Shrove Tuesday ... I guess Our Lord ate pancakes on a Tuesday.
 
So cool! I love this.

All the holy days around this time can indeed be very confusing, especially when popular culture puts its own spin on things.

FYI: Shrove Tuesday, also known as Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras, is the day before Ash Wednesday, therefore the day when, in some traditions at least, the faithful party it up a bit (most notably in New Orleans) before the disciplines of Lent set in.
 
Thanks Angela! So much I don't know ... or understand!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?