Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Isn't it iconic

After doing my 'relics' of wood, cloth and stone on Monday, I had some pieces of wood left over. I didn't want to throw them away so I've been thinking what else to do with them.

I woke this morning at 5.00 thinking "the seven stations of the cross". I didn't know what they were but I'd heard of them.

I'm still intrigued by the idea of a contemporary take on religious iconography and relics.

So I decided to make seven little icons. Something I could get done in a day.

As I searched around for material to use as the bases, I wondered if perhaps it was nine stations of the cross.

I went to the library to do some research.

Turns out there are FOURTEEN stations of the cross! And there are variations on what the fourteen are. Huh. So much for getting it done in a day. Or at all.

I decided to pick my top five stations (the ones that actually referred to the cross) and just do those.

It all turned into a bit of palaver, to be honest. But that's another story.

In the end I settled for fragments of scripture, pieces of wood, a splash of blood (well, red paint) and a sprinkling of gold dust.

I think I might be done with this Easter thing.

Now I've got five of these pieces that I don't know what to do with. They are 6" by 4", paper, wood, paint and gold dust on card. Signed as well.

If you would like one, email me your address and I'll post one to you.

Comments:
Have you looked at Paula McCullough's work with wood and found objects? I think you'd like it. As for the stations of the cross, check this out: http://didrooglie.blogspot.com/2007/02/stations.html
 
Andrea ... your 'stations' picture is BRILLIANT! I love the symbolism and also the ethos of using your own visual language to interpret a religious theme. And you have FIFTEEN stations represented! These religious people have no consistency!

I'll also check out Paula McCullough' work.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?