Thursday, September 30, 2010

Harvest

I like this time of year when the season changes so noticeably. Autumn is one of my top four favourite seasons.

I’ve been thinking a lot about Harvest.

In
Britain, thanks have been given for successful harvests since pagan times. The celebrations on this day usually include singing hymns, praying, and decorating churches with baskets of fruit and food in the festival known as Harvest Festival. I was going to a Harvest Festival last Sunday – to see what it was like in a traditional church setting – but I was unwell.

I don’t know how it’s celebrated where you are.

Also, the Celtic new year begins on November 1st. Samhain marked the end of harvest and the beginning of the new year. The first month of the Celtic year was Samonios - ‘Seed Fall’.

I don’t work to deadlines or schedules, but I like to work to seasons.

Over the last few months, I don’t feel like I’ve been working on anything much.

But everywhere I look there are piles of drawings, photocopies, printouts, magazine cuttings, articles, bags of ribbon, bags of sticks, photographs ...

As I’ve been gathering various bits and pieces together I’ve realised that I have a number of related ideas and themes that have been growing and developing. Many of these are now at a mature stage and something needs to be done with them.

They need to be harvested.

Comments:
Harvesting ideas! I like that!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?