Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Mallorca

I’ve just got back from a very enjoyable ten days in Mallorca - one of the Balearic islands off the coast of Spain. What’s not to enjoy in a place where you can buy a litre of very drinkable wine for less than a pound?!

I have always loved travelling and have a soft spot for Spain, though I have never been to the Balearics.

Every time I go to Spain I want to stay there - to live and work. And one day I will. I just won’t come back. The culture and the climate suit me. I feel at home there.


Travelling is always an enriching experience as well as being a ‘time-out’ from the same-old-same-old and a chance to reflect and plan.


I enjoy the sound of a different language; the feel of a different climate; the sight of a different landscape.

Mallorca being a small island it was possible to explore the mountains and the plain, the coast and the city. Which all sounds very relaxed and groovy except that I was driving a hired car, on the right-hand side of the road. And often through narrow, twisting mountainous roads. I was terrified much of the time I was there!

I also like to chat to people and have random conversations and exchanges. I tried a few jokes, but they didn’t work. The best, though, was in Deia - on a mission to find the house of the poet Robert Graves. Having been unsuccessful, I asked in a bar for directions. The man standing next to me said “I can help you - I’m his son”! And it was true!

After finding the house and having a fascinating and inspiring time looking around, we met Juan Graves again, sat in the shade (it was 40 degrees) and chatted for a good half an hour.
A special day.


Mallorca has it all - craggy mountains, rolling plains, fabulous beaches and medieval towns.

And lots of Germans.

I mean, LOTS. Being British meant being in an ethnic minority and that was a strange and disturbing feeling.

Coming back to Wales I’m noticing how cold and wet it is.

And how expensive the wine is.

Comments:
You've been very quiet just lately, good to hear from you again.
 
yeah Joanne ... going to try to pick things up a little now.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?