Saturday, July 16, 2011

I’m still on about Yohji Yamamoto. Bear with me.

The creative process is something that interests me and I learn a lot from other creative “industries” – especially fashion.

In terms of creativity, I like that there is no model; no template. What works once may never work again. What worked for a while may, one day, stop being useful and productive. It’s constant invention and reinvention.

As Richard Branson says in his book “Business Stripped Bare”, regarding the definition of a successful business, “There are no rules … and it runs away screaming at the first sign of bullet points.” That may be true of all forms of creativity and artistic endeavour - despite efforts to systematise, package and sell it for business purposes (innovation in business; creativity in the workplace etc.)

But there is, nevertheless, often a process – a ritual – a routine – that undergirds the creative ebb and flow. It seems to be personal and related to the artist’s own practice and personality.

In Yohji Yamamoto’s case I read, “An almost ceremonial air surrounds every step of … (the) design process.”


That sounds like a very Japanese thing to me but I still find it inspiring in terms of my own culture and beliefs.

His clothing is often characterized by its use of washed, unironed fabrics, loose uncluttered forms, and dark colours. His “+Noir” collection is predominantly black (obviously) with splashes of colour.

Why?

Well, watch this excellent video (it’s only a couple of minutes) to see the man at work and hear him talk a little about his design philosophy.

http://thisismydreamthefilm.com/main/

Comments:
And speaking of Japanese artists, I just discovered this guy and his amazing work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/akinao/
 
nice, Andrea, very nice.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?