Saturday, September 17, 2011

For a few moments this morning I couldn’t remember whether I was right-handed or left-handed.

I was going to brush my teeth but found myself swapping the toothbrush and toothpaste from hand to hand. I couldn’t remember which way round they went and neither felt quite right.

Obviously I got it sorted out – otherwise there would have been toothpaste everywhere and I’d have spent the day with a minty-fresh face and foul breath.


I think it’s because I’ve been doing all this left-brain, organising-type work.


It’s fun and very satisfying to see some of the mess and chaos boxed, stacked, listed and labelled. I’m happy to have lots of work that I can simply store away for the future without feeling I have to DO SOMETHING with it right away. It takes a lot of the pressure off. And it’s still available to show as and when I want to.

Last week I went to a public talk at Cardiff Museum regarding the opening of their new contemporary art galleries. They explained that the current exhibition represented only a small part of their contemporary art collection. The rest was in storage or on loan. The speaker said, “There’s a lot more work to show and a lot more stories to tell.”

On a much smaller scale, I feel a bit like that.

Comments:
Perhaps you were an ambidextrous iceberg in a former life!
 
Ha! I'm ambivalent about being ambidextrous!
 
But not about your obvious ambivertedness!
 
I know that feeling! I am ambidextrous and I can never work out which way to handle an axe to use it safely and so hubby has to do all the wood chopping in our house. I also dig in a left-handed and a right-handed way and sometimes just can't seem to find the most natural way to do that but I can't get out of the digging.

I think it is because I have both a scientific mind with a degree in Pharmacology and Chemistry and a creative mind which just loves colour and texture and discovering different ways of using them. Perfect really!
 
Anonymous ... don't even know what that word means! Hope it's not durty ...

Joanna ... not just me then! I'd NEVER be allowed to handle an axe!
 
It was clearly a little hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian!
 
Do you know what the Italians call left handed people?
Beware for the queen lives!
 
Anonymous ... just noticed your comment ... don't know the answer but happy you're back!
 
Sinestra....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?