Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Low Tech

Earlier this year my daughter bought tickets to take me to the David Hockney exhibition - "A Bigger Picture" - at the Royal Academy in London.

It was brilliant - one of the best shows I've seen.
Hockney has become known in recent years for the pictures he has produced on his iPad. There was a good selection of these on display and they really are remarkable.
Recently I've bought a new smartphone (a Samsung Galaxy Note) so naturally I downloaded a drawing app and made like Hockney.
I wish.

It's handy always having something with me that I can use to sketch and make notes. But I don't like it. I don't like drawing with a plastic stylus on a piece of glass.

I like the feel of a soft pencil on thick paper; of a black pen on smooth white paper.

I read about one artist who did a similar experiment with an iPad. But he went back to oil paints because "he missed the smell".

Also the way I'm sketching lately involves drawing with pencil, ink, graphite and a smudger. Then I'm adding colour references using petals, pollen, sap and earth. I'm trying to capture a sense of 'place'.

I don't think I should try that with my Galaxy Note.

I'm staying resolutely low-tech.



Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?